Unexpected null or N/A geolocation data from IP API for my IP Lookup Tool

Author
Camila Lopez Author
|
2 months ago Asked
|
162 Views
|
2 Replies
0
Hey everyone, hoping you can lend an ear here. I run a web tool called 'IP Lookup Tool - Geo-locate Any IP Address & Get Details', which, as the name suggests, helps users quickly geo-locate IP addresses and fetch detailed information about them. Lately, I've been hitting a frustrating wall. The tool is frequently returning null or N/A values for crucial IP geolocation data fields like country, city, and ISP when querying our chosen third-party IP API. This is happening for a significant number of requests, making the tool less reliable and useful than it should be.

I've already gone through the usual suspects: double-checked our API keys, confirmed we're well within our rate limits, and tested with a variety of IP addresses – both well-known public IPs and some internal test ones. The issue seems intermittent but persistent, affecting different IPs at different times, which makes it even harder to pinpoint. Here's a snippet of what I'm often seeing in the API response:
{  "ip": "192.0.2.1",  "country": null,  "city": "N/A",  "region": null,  "isp": "Unknown Provider",  "latitude": null,  "longitude": null,  "error": "Geolocation data incomplete or unavailable"}
I'm really scratching my head here. Has anyone else encountered such inconsistent IP geolocation data responses from their APIs? Any insights into common reasons for this (beyond the obvious API key/rate limit checks)? Are there specific debugging strategies I should employ, or perhaps more reliable IP API providers you could recommend for robust IP geolocation data? Help a brother out please...

2 Answers

0
MD Alamgir Hossain Nahid
Answered 2 months ago

Hello Camila Lopez, I understand how frustrating inconsistent IP geolocation data can be; I've faced similar challenges ensuring data accuracy for targeted campaigns. Often, null or N/A values indicate your current API provider has incomplete datasets for certain IP ranges, VPNs, or new allocations, impacting geolocation precision. For better reliability, consider integrating with a secondary provider like IPinfo.io or MaxMind GeoIP2 to cross-reference data or as a primary fallback.

0
Camila Lopez
Answered 2 months ago

Hey MD Alamgir Hossain Nahid, your suggestion to cross-reference with IPinfo.io totally fixed the null/N/A issue, thanks a bunch! But now that I'm getting more complete data, I'm finding kinda big discrepancies between the two services for the *same* IP. Like, one says "New York" and the other says "Jersey City" – how do you even decide which one to prioritize for display tho?

Your Answer

You must Log In to post an answer and earn reputation.
AdsVolt Support AI
Online

Connecting to AdsVolt AI...

AI is typing